Starfest Imaging Contest
Competitions should be fun and these Rules should be interpreted liberally to encourage maximum participation but they should be applied consistently in fairness to the image makers.
- All components of an image must have been captured by the entrant. An image or any component of an image, whether digital or film, may not be entered having originated otherwise.
- All elements of image capture must be accomplished by the entrant, including equipment setup, control, alignment, and target acquisition. All work in creating an image that involves the application of more than nominal skill must be done by the entrant. Images acquired remotely using rented equipment are not permitted. Otherwise this would just be an image processing competition.
There will be 4 categories, and entrants can submit to any one or all categories.
- Solar System (SS)
- Deep Sky Objects (DSO)
- Astronomical Landscape and star trails (ASL)
- Time-lapse video (TV)
Note that "Outside of Ontario" has been eliminated. All entries, regardless of location will now be entered in the above categories.
Time-lapse is a new experimental category. Time-lapse video should not exceed 30 seconds in duration. Only one video per contestant. Entrants are welcome to add music to their video if they choose.
- There will be 3 awards for each category. However, for Time-lapse video (TV) there will be only one award. In the event that there are not enough entries, divisions may be combined.
- Entrants must be registered for Starfest prior to sending images.
- Entrants must attend the showing on Saturday night, to pick up their prizes. Prizes will not be mailed out.
- The competition is open to all Starfest attendees with the exception of judges.
- Entrants may submit 1 Time-lapse video (maximum duration 30 seconds) and up to 12 images, which can be in a single category or divided amongst a mix of categories.
- Judging will be by a panel of three judges. Judges are subject to change yearly. The identity of the judges will be made known at the showing of the images, at Starfest.
- Images and Time-lapse must contain an Astronomical subject.
- Images are to be submitted in digital format. Emulsion images must be scanned into digital.
- By virtue of submitting an entry, the entrant certifies the work as not infringing on anyone elses copyright and permits the NYAA to reproduce, in printed or electronic form, all or part of the entered material free of charge for publication and/or display in media related to the promotion of Starfest and to effectively operate and promote the competition.
- The NYAA assumes no liability for any misuse of copyright and is not responsible for any loss of or damage to any images submitted.
- The entrant is responsible for ensuring his/her entries are delivered to the competition organizer .
- No identifying information (e.g. title, photographer) will be included in the image itself.
- DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING IMAGES IS: 11:59pm EDT Sunday July 15th 2018
- Please include technical details of the image(s) in the body of the email. (location, dates, target, camera, mount, scope, filters, exposure times etc..)
- All entries must conform with the technical rules, and failure to so comply will result in the entries being disqualified.
- IMAGES TAKEN SINCE THE PREVIOUS STARFEST ONLY PLEASE.
- The image must be in JPEG format. Please do not send TIFFs.
- Images will be judged and shown using high definition technology, therefore submissions should aim for a maximum size of 1920 x 1080 pixels. Note that only the pixel dimensions matter, the resolution (pixels/inch) is irrelevant for displayed images.
Submit images with this naming system :
Category acronym - your name - title . JPEG
Example : ASL-Dave Dev-Orion in Trees.jpg